Tallahassee Florida State Seminoles
Florida State avenged its season loss to Duke with an 82-67 victory Tuesday in Tallahassee, Fla. Patrick Williams scored 16 points and the Seminoles (9-2, 2-1 ACC) beat the Duke Blue Devils (6-3, 1-0) to start the new year with their first win of the season.
The victory secured Florida State its third consecutive regular-season title - and third in four years. No school east of Arizona has attended more NCAA tournaments than the Seminoles, and only five teams in NCAA history have been to the WCWS more than Florida State. Florida State University is the only Florida State school to play all sports year after year in Florida and Miami.
Some might break down at the thought of a 35-year-old tradition, continued by Florida State's mascot, leading the cheers when the Seminoles play the Auburn Tigers for the national championship on Monday night. Still, you might be surprised to find one in the midst of one of the most memorable moments in college sports history.
After World War II, the Florida State College of Women became coeducational and renamed itself in 1947. The school reestablished a football team and sports programs were resumed, but its athletes endured the taunts of the girls until 1947, when it became Florida State University. FSU fielded its first football team, which faced Stetson in the first game of the school's first football season on October 18, 1947.
Florida State came to a 9-0 record, with the closest game being an 18-point win over Miami. UF and Florida State beat Florida in the first two games of the season, and only managed a 3-3 tie in six attempts at Gainesville.
The Seminoles claimed their third consecutive bowl and became the first major college in Florida State to receive the award. The Florida Cup was awarded to the Florida State Seminole for the regular-season games against Florida and Miami. Under head coach Bobby Bowden, who came to Florida State from West Virginia, the seminars have become one of the nation's most competitive programs, greatly expanding the tradition of football in the state of Florida. Now "and the State University of Florida has undertaken not to present it in an irreverent manner or in any way.
The logo is a replica of the 1930s Florida State Seminole football helmet by artist Charles Wright. Ed Williamson, who brought football closer to the school, was the first coach of the Seminoles at Florida State. In the fall of 1968, Patterson became the first African-American student to participate in a major college football game in the United States, as well as the first - Team All - America player.
In the 1950 season, a new stadium was built for the team, named after the former coach of the Florida State Seminole football team Doak Campbell Stadium. The field was named the Field in honor of his father Bobby Bowden, in memory of BobbyBowden, the first head coach in school history, as well as a tribute to the inland rival Florida that hosted it in its first game against Florida in 1950. In 1953 and 1954, new stadiums were built in Tallahassee, Florida, and in 1956 and 1957, a new home stadium, Doaks Stadium, was built. In addition to the original home stadium, it was also called "Bobby Bowden's field," in tribute to its founder, former coach and former quarterback Bobby Bowden. It was later named "Bobby Bow Field" in honor of Florida's first coach Jimbo Fisher.
In a game that many consider the biggest in Florida State history, Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Bobby Bowden hit freshman Warrick Dunn on the sideline for one play and scored a touchdown run in the final seconds of the game against the Florida Gators. The ball was fired into the end zone, making the match between the Florida State Seminoles his last game at Doak Campbell Stadium in Tallahassee, Fla.
Florida State University President James D. K. Wolf summed it up: "We are proud to work with the Seminole tribe in Florida. We are proud to be Seminoles and we are proud of our university and our seminars since our first game at Doak Campbell Stadium.
Intercollegial football began in 1947 at Florida State, but the exact location of the game is not documented. The Seminoles played at Centennial Field for three seasons, and the team also played two games at Doak Campbell Stadium in 1902 and 1904.
When FSC became Florida State College for Women in 1905, the football team was forced to attend a men's school in Gainesville, but the Florida Legislature responded by renaming it Florida State University, allowing men to attend for the first time since 1905. In 1908, Florida's legislature reorganized the state's higher education system by abolishing all existing public colleges - supported colleges and creating a new state university system of public universities and colleges for men and women. When the University of Florida was renamed in 1909, all men's football teams in FSU's previous four years changed hands. From the 1947 season, football returned to the university and in 1950 to Doak Campbell Stadium.